The Cricketers Inn

a  brief history of the Inn  follows on below the photo gallery

The Cricketers Inn photo gallery

Previous pub signs

this portrait has "W G Grace“

painted on the  sleeve

 

 

 

 

in the 1950s

Landlord Lous Stanford behind the bar in the 1960s

 

 

the front bar in the 1960s

in the 1980s

 

 

Front bar in the 1990s

Front bar in the 1990s

 

 

 

 

 

Dave & Jean Nurton in the 1990s

John & Jenice Howe in 2013

 

 

 

 

 

Images from 2015-2016

 

 

 

 

            

A brief history of Cricketers Inn

It is said that early in the 1800s two sisters opened their cottage to give refreshments to the cricketers returning from the cricket pitch in The Park along the track just opposite. This could have been the start of an “unlicensed” but legal Alehouse, and one of five in the village in the early days, however, references to court cases relating to Goldhanger alehouse and beerhouses in the Essex Records Office start in 1576, although addresses were not given.

 

 

The business was developed by Caleb Chaplin, a  baker who lived next door (now called Elms bakery), and he applied for the first full spirit licence in August 1869...

 

 

The Tithe map and Awards of 1838 shows he owned both the bakery and Cricketers Inn in that year. He was also the captain of the Goldhanger cricket team at the time.

 

 

 

Cricketers sale.JPG

 

 

 

 

However, in 1870 both premises were put up for sale and it seemed that Caleb took a job as the baker at Chelmsford prison, where he worked for the next 30 years.

 

His son, also called Caleb and who was born at The Cricketers in 1867, spent 27 years in the Merchant Navy, but was killed in 1917 while he was the first mate on S.S. Newstead that was torpedoed by a U-boat in the Atlantic. His name is on the Chelmsford Civic Centre War Memorial.

 

Chapin, Caleb died in 1908, from the Essex Newsman .jpg

 

 

 

The Chelmsford War Memorial website recalls both their lives and records that Caleb Chaplin senior had participated in the Australian gold rush in the 1860s!

An obituary from the

Essex Newsman of 1908

 

 

 

In the 1800s and the first half of the 1900s the Cricketers benefited from having a wheelwrights next door and a blacksmiths opposite, so their customers could take refreshments in the inn while their carriages and wagon wheels were being repaired and their horses were being re-shod.

 

 

 

 

 

These views show the inn during the early 1900s with an older inn sign clearly visible, and the wheelwrights barn next door. The full postcards are shown in the Street Scenes Chapter.

 

 

Recorded Cricketers Landlords

Year

Landlords

Source

1835-69

Caleb Chaplin (also the baker)

Trade directories & newspapers

1870-71

John Lomax

Kelly's & post offfice

1874

Edward Green

Kelly's& post offfice

1878

Frank Wadham

Kelly's

1881-82

Samuel & Sarah Clarke

Kelly's & Census

1886-1925

Henry & Eleanor Walden

Kelly's

1901

Henry J Walden

Census (also horseman)

1925-1929

Reginald Sterling Williams

Kelly's

1933

Donald McRae

Kelly's

1937

James A Lane

Kelly's

1940-50

Jim Hinchclif

newspapers

1950s?

Sharratt

Local knowledge

1950s?

Lord

Local knowledge

1950s-60s

Lous Stanford

newspapers

1960s-80s

Mary Stanford

Parish magazine

1990s-2000

Dave & Jean Nurton

Parish magazine

2005-12

Steve Williams

Parish magazine

2013-15

John & Jenice Howe

Parish magazine

2015-2016

John Paul Ingui

Parish magazine

2017-date

Vince & Diane

Some Information in taken from: pubshistory.com/EssexPubs/Goldhanger/

 

home                     Cricketers photo gallery